This fantastic natural stone is perfect for kitchen countertops, tabletops, floors, and other surfaces. However, this stone can scratch easily. Do not worry if this happens to your marble; there are some easy ways to remove scratches. Keep in mind that deep scratches will require professional help, but removing minor scratched is an easy job.
1. Five simple steps to get rid of minor scratches
Step 1: Mix Warm Water and Mild Dish Soap:
- This water is to apply to the side of the scratch.
Step 2: Rub the Area with a Damp Cloth:
- Wet a soft cloth in the water and dish soap mixture. Then, wring the fabric out, so it is just damp rather than soaked. Gently rub the area of the scratch with the wet cloth.
Step 3: Rinse the Surface:
- You have to rinse the surface with a different damp soft cloth dipped in just warm water.
Step 4: Buff the Surface:
- With a soft dry cloth and circular motion, you can buff the surface.
Step 5: Polish:
- The last step is to polish your surface. You have to use specific products.
If this method does not work, you will probably need professional help.
2. Buffing Minor Scratches
Suppose the minor scratches remain after cleaning and polishing. In that case, buffing can help remove minor scratches. sand the area using 400-600 wet and dry sandpaper if the marble countertop has a honed surface. Sand with 600-1200 grit sandpaper on medium surfaces, and use 1200 to 1500 grit sandpaper on high-gloss surfaces.
Sand the marble surface enough to rough it up. But don’t sand too hard, and clean the sand dust. Polish the scratched surface with a high-speed buffer and a buffing pad to restore the gloss.
Dab some automotive compound on the cloth, and lightly rub it on the scratch until a haze appears, then buff the surface again. Repeat the process until the scratch disappears.
3. Fix Deeper Scratches and Cracks
To fix the bigger & deeper marble scratches, 800-grit sandpaper can help. Attach wet/dry sandpaper to the orbital sander, and wet the surface. Sand the area until scratches no longer remain, then polish the surface with the automotive compound until scratches disappear entirely. A marble solution will help to fill cracks and to lighten bright spots. Marble surfaces get scratch quickly, so ensure you use products with a neutral pH.
If this method does not work or marble deteriorates, you will probably need professional help.